Monday 15 July 2013

Guest Author Interview - Josiah Morgan

It's a glorious sunny day out there, I wish I was out there writing, but never mind, we can read the latest guest author interview instead! In today's interview we meet Josiah Morgan who's trying a little experiment and is a little younger than most of the authors I interview, read what he has to say below:

 
Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Josiah Morgan. I am a twelve year old author, with one short story collection and a five-book series for adults coming out early to mid 2014. I generally write under sci-fi, horror or contemporary fiction, although I have written everything from romance to (I hate to say it) erotica.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I guess what first inspired me to write was the fact that I could write before I could read - I know that it sounds really weird, but I could piece together letter combos myself before I could decipher words put on paper by other people.

When I was eight, I had run out of books to read. Really. I had read all the children's and Young Adult books in the library.... so I started writing, anything that came into my head. Six months later, my dad handed me a copy of Stephen King's "The Stand" and introduced me to the world of adult books.

I kept writing, and by the time I got to the age I have today, I had slowly introduced sex and violence into my stories.

And what attracted you to science fiction?
Haha, what attracted me to sci-fi? The first books I read when I entered the adult world: Stephen King, Raymond E Feist, Douglas Adams and even some Wilbur Smith, which introduced me to the "science" part.

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be?
Now, THAT is a hard question.... it would be expected to say Shakespeare, but he was an..... idiot (I was going to say something else for a bit there. I would say Stephen King, but I know a but about him. Anyone from history you say? I pick Ernest Hemingway. I don't know why. I just do....

Do you read in the same genre that you write?
Generally, with my writing genre being sci-fi, I would say no -- although if "Puppets" the first in my series is the example you're looking at, I have horror, sci-fi, romance, Young Adult, contemporary and steampunk in there. So I'd say "sometimes" on that one.

What is your favourite song lyric?
I am torn between the lyric of "Karma Police" by Radiohead and the feel-good anthem of "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke - but I think I'll go with Karma Police, because of the deeper meaning.

What do you find most challenging about writing?
I always find planting the necessary backstory in characters lives a challenge - I mean, take a look at Chapter 8 of Puppets. 30 pages long AT LEAST, and that was just backstory - I think it's a great chapter though, especially because we don't get see much more of The Puppeteer/Sal Atroscopy's life because of the action in that particular storyline regarding.... A coma, a black dot, and a bit too much Cluedo references....

What are you working on at the moment?
At the moment, I'm doing publicity work do my short story collection "Encore", as well as finishing my first novel, which is nearly done "Puppets"

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
If "latest work" means the one I'm working on recently, seeing as I haven't published the books yet - then you can find out more by emailing me your questions at josiahmorgan11@gmail.com or check out my GoodReads profile. I am also currently looking for advance reviewers of "Encore" - email me at the same address if you are interested.

Note: Encore is now available and can be purchased from Amazon here.


No comments:

Post a Comment