Wednesday 17 July 2013

Guest Author Interview - Emma Faragher

Welcome to the latest guest author interview, today we meet Emma Faragher who talks about her debut novel:


Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
Hi, I’m Emma and I’m a full time student and part time writer.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I was having a hard time coping and started to escape into a fantasy world I’d made up. Writing was my way of keeping myself separate from that world, of escaping without being sucked in.

And what attracted you to urban fantasy?
Ok, this is going to make me sound like a crazy person, but whenever I read I seem to take on some of the traits of the characters. I read Martina Cole’s “The Take” and was angry for at least 3 days for no apparent reason.

Fantasy distances me more from the book as it’s not so close to reality, so I don’t take on as much from them. Urban fantasy tends to have strong female protagonists, I don’t mind channeling them so much!

It just happened then that the story I had to tell fell into the urban fantasy genre.

If you could write anybody's biography, whose would it be?
Goodness, I’m not really familiar with popular culture or biographies.

Probably someone like Boadicea, I love Celtic history and she was such an amazing woman. Kind of bloody. But she took a small group of essentially barbarians and went up against the Romans, with very little experience of war or battle after her husband was killed. The rest is probably a bit too violent to go into here.

What is your favourite song lyric?
Again, I’m not terribly into popular culture. I tend to listen to rock or folk music (yes, I know, two very different genres) but I think my favourite would have to be from the film “Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron” and goes like this:

"Remember who you are... if you lose yourself,
Your courage soon will follow,
So be strong tonight... remember who you are"

Who is your favourite author and why?
I think my favorite author would still have to be Gareth Nix, just because Sabriel was probably the first fantasy book I really read on my own. Incidentally, I don’t recommend reading it aged 8 just before bed (I think that’s what it was, it’s a while ago now). Gave me nightmares for weeks. Not that I stopped reading but it was just too good!

My favourite recent find would have to be Connie Suttle. She has I think 22 books out now and I compulsively check her blog so I don't miss the next one. I read the whole lot twice in the space of about a month. Even for me that's a lot of the same series in a short space of time.

What advice would you give new and aspiring authors?
Don’t give up. If you have a story to tell sit down and put it into words. It doesn’t have to be pretty or all make sense at first. It just has to get out of you and onto the page.

What are you working on at the moment?
I’m working on book 2 of my Trix SinClara series: The Solstice. And I can’t give a synopsis without giving away the ending of book 1…

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My latest work is also my only published work. It’s book 1 in the Trix SinClara series: “The House”.
It’s about a 22 year old shapeshifter who lives in 23rd century Devon in Briton. She lives at the House, a place where shifters go when they lose their way or need some help. She was also born a shapeshifter, making her a rare part of the supernatural world.

 As shifters start to go missing Trix finds herself having to hold everyone together. She has a new shifter to show the ropes and new magic to get a hold of. As well as finding the missing shifters, without of course, alerting anyone to the presence of the supernaturals. Or it won’t just be missing shifters she has to contend with. The witches, so content to let them sort their own problems, will not stand for anything that might expose them, and they have more power on their side than Trix can contemplate.

 You can find more information at my blog: http://www.trixsinclara.blogspot.co.uk/
 or facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Emma-Faragher-author/140453732798952

Trix SinClara: The House is available from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment