Wednesday 30 October 2013

Guest Author Interview - Mary Filmer

In today's guest author interview I welcome children's book author Mary Filmer, you can find out what she has to say about her writing below:
 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DUJVEYE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00DUJVEYE&linkCode=as2&tag=phasespacenet-21


Please introduces yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Mary Filmer and I am a children’s author.

What first inspired you to start writing?
 I wish I could say I was born a writer but the truth is I had a learning disability. I am dyslexic and in my day no one had even heard of that let alone could help children with this type of disability. I had never even read a book until my children were born. So that is when I started to write because I would write little stories for my two children and as time when by I started to study and learn more.

What attracted you to write for children?
My children at first, then as they began to grow older and I became more educated and started to work in schools in the library. I would write short stories for the teachers to help them teach different subjects. Or I would help with different art and writing classes.

What are the challenges for writing for children compared to older readers?
I really couldn’t tell you as I have never written for anyone but children. I have written teaching material such as Emergence 000 which is a black liner book for teachers to teach a class. It has the teachers notes and the class material which enables the teacher to just photo copy the material and then hand it out to the class. All the research material is in the book which they need to teach the class with. A part from that I have only written educational material for teachers. As far as writing a fantasy book for an older reader goes I really have never tried too.

Where do your best ideas come from?
I am not sure I know. Maybe it is when someone ask you something or when you see something different from someone else. Or it could be something so simple as watching a little bird or watching rain fall.

What is your favourite song lyric?
You are the second person who has asked me this within a few days. I have so many songs I like so I may say something different to what I said before. At the moment I would have to say it was, “just a spoon full of sugar help’s the medicine go down, in the most delightful way. “ As my husband has a cold and he has to have some cold and flu tablets.

What is the best piece of writing advice you have received?
Answer: Never give up on your dreams, even if someone tells you they do not like your book. That is only one person another might think you write great. This is a lesson I think a lot of authors must learn to face, as not everyone likes the same things.

What are you working on at the moment?
Book 3 of the Mary Sumeridge series of fantasy books.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more?
Can I show you my latest work which was published on the 18/7/13. It is the first of the fantasy series of Mary Sumeridge Beginnings. It is here on the UTube and it is Poppy the Troll telling you all about the book. My husband is the voice of Poppy so it is nice and clear. The animation was created by Dilla from Malaysia for me, she also did the cover of the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgz_ZvccD7c

You can see it on my website which is : http://maryfilmer.com/
It tells you where you can buy the book and all about it.

Mary Sumeridge Beginnings is available from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment