Sunday 20 October 2013

Book Impressions - Seesaw by Rosen Trevithick

I've read a few stories from this author and as I've recently picked up her latest collection I thought it best to read the first collection before reading the new one. I've heard it said that an author's first work is to a varying extent autobiographical. I don't know if that's the case here, but some of the stories do have that feel to them. That isn't a critisism by any means, although compared to her later writing some of these stories do have a raw feel to them. In some ways that has more impact on the reader than the technical ability to string words together in a pleasing fashion.

The previous work of hers that I've read have been comedies, in this collection there is still a lot of humour, but in a less overt manner. It is a situation, almost self deprecating humour that pervades through the stories. Although there is a great deal of humour this isn't a work of comedy, many of the stories take you to various dark places in your mind.

In both situations the author excels, her writing is immediate and you feel what the charcters feel. There's some lovely twists along the way and each story brings something new to the collection.

As I've already mentioned this isn't a slick as her later work that I've read and I enjoy that with reading. It's fascinating to see how an author's skill develops over time and through tackling new subjects. I don't mention this as a critisism, more as a warning to those who (like me) have only read the more recent books. The same Rosen Trevithick trademark is still there in spades, but it's not as accomplished as the more recent writing. Don't let that put you off though, this is an engaging and emotive collection of stories, so much so that I've immediately started the new collection.

 
Short stories by number 1 bestseller, Rosen Trevithick. So called because of its alternation between laugh out loud comedy and more sinister, psychological tales, "Seesaw" showcases some of Rosen's most loved shorts, alongside some previously unpublished bite-sized tales. "Captivated my attention from the start and I could not put it down." - Rachel Dove, The Kindle Book Review ("The Other Daughter"). "It is that famous sarcastic, British wit that I could eat all day." - N. Blackburn ("London, the Doggy and Me"). "A poignant and thought-provoking book." - A. Coburn ("The Selfish Act"). "A deeply moving and emotional read." - D. Jones ("The Other Daughter"). "Yet again this author manages to hit the jackpot in this most entertaining read." - A. Coburn ("London, the Doggy and Me"). "A very short story which made a very big impact." - A. Coburn ("The Other Daughter"). "Oh my goodness, what a laugh!" - J. Allison ("Lipstick and Knickers"). "Laugh out loud humour, amazing descriptions and loveable characters." - S. Hitchens ("London, the Doggy and Me"). "I wish I could give this more than 5 stars. Again, Trevithick has shown herself as a master of the short story." - N. Blackburn ("The Selfish Act").
Seesaw is available from Amazon (and is a very good read)

No comments:

Post a Comment