Wednesday 7 August 2013

Guest Author Interview - Racheal Renwick

In today's guest author interview I have been joined by Racheal Renwick, you can read what she had to say below:



Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
Hi Michael. First off, thank you for having me on your blog.

Hi everyone! I’m Racheal Renwick. I hail from Portland area, Oregon here in the US; tucked away in a small college town where I write quirky and unusual books for teens and young adults.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I always loved to write and read. I dabbled in short stories and poetry in my youth, but never attempted a full novel: why would I? It’s one-in-a-million to get published and, at that time, I was only a teenager. Then, when I was twenty, I met an Indie author named Lisette Brodey and she changed my entire view of the publishing world. I realized that writing was a viable dream after all. And so, I started to write my first novel.

Who do you admire most as an author?
Honestly, everyone who’s published. There are certain authors I love to read and look up to – even envy. But getting published is hard – so, so hard – and if you’re lucky enough to be one of those select-few-authors, whether big house, small house, or indie press - that is a HUGE accomplishment and definitely worth admiring.

What is your favourite word?
Sacrilege! (You have to say it as if you’re shocked, otherwise it’s totally pointless.)

How do you get in the mood for writing?
I like to go back and re-read my last scene I wrote. It puts me right into the story and I can easily jump in and continue on, building the world without feeling disconnected or lost - having to go back and figure out where you left off with a certain character.

What do you find most rewarding about writing?
What I love most about being able to write, is the great feeling of sharing my stories with others. Especially teens. Books were my escape in those awkward years. It’s also one of the toughest times in your life –trying to figure out who you are and how to deal with growing up and becoming an adult. Sometimes it’s refreshing to be able to relate to someone just like you. Even if that person’s fictional.

And the most challenging?
Writing. Just the physical act of trying to write the words is a challenge in itself. I suffer from an Anxiety Disorder, where I constantly worry about my actions and how they affect things and people around me. Sometimes, I sit down and can’t even bring myself to type a word – afraid I’d mess it all up. But it’s more than fear – my brain treats every bad situation as if its life threatening. But my love for words always wins, and I find it gets easier with each new word, and each new book.

What are you working on at the moment?
Second Breath. A Paranormal YA set in a sleepy mountain town. Here’s a blurb:

"This is your second chance. When you die, you take one last breath. And when you take your second breath, you wake here.”

Harmon just wants to escape the grim reality that is his world. After the suicide of their mother, Harmon, and his sister Tilly, are left to the mercy of their alcoholic father, Stan.

When Harmon is killed by Stan, he finds himself alive again in an alternate reality known as Second Breath, a new world that greatly appeals to him. But back in the Living Realm, Tilly's life is in danger and he must find a way to return before she joins him in Second Breath.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
 My debut novel Just for Kicks was released by Prizm Books, July 17th, 2013. It’s about a snarky, prank-pulling orphan named Meri who discovers she has superhero genes; and sets off with a band of “Supers” to stop a soul-sucking villain from wreaking havoc in Seattle. To find out more and get sneak peeks, visit: http://www.rachealrenwick.tumblr.com.

Just for Kicks is available from Amazon

3 comments:

  1. Wow, catchy blurb...now I'm intrigued. I'll have to check out your work.
    And writing CAN be so hard--you sit down, open your computer, open your document, and...nothing. One day I literally made myself sit for hours just to get a scene out of myself. And I ended up writing a couple thousand words by the end of it, but getting over that hump took some big brainstorm and "laying on the floor" time. (That's how I think best, for some reason)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise advice. If find planning in advance helps break through blocks as you can skip round them and plug the gap later if needs be.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a real good read, can't wait.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete