Sunday 24 January 2016

February Short Fiction Contest

Original art by https://www.facebook.com/LucianaNedeleaArt/
"Of Man’s first disobedience, and the fruit of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal taste brought Death into the world [...]" - John Milton/Excerpt from Paradise Lost.

Sometimes I have to hunt high and low for the monthly short fiction contest image and sometimes it finds me. This month's Paradise Lost image sees the return of the wonderfully talented Luciana Nedelea. This image will soon be released as a new t-shirt and poster design on the Old Ones Productions store. If you're not familiar with that venture of mine then visit the store here:

http://oldonesproductions.com/

As always the stories can be of any genre. They just have to be inspired by this month's image and no more than 500 words.

Entry to the contest remains free and there are prizes for the three winners. I will also feature any of the stories that don't win but I believe are worth showcasing on this blog.
  • First prize is a £50 Amazon gift card or PayPal prize
  • Second prize is a £20 Amazon gift card or PayPal prize
  • Third prize is a £10 Amazon gift card or PayPal prize
The money for the prizes come out of my own pocket, although I do make a little from advertising on this blog. So if you see something of interest then feel free to click on the links and purchase away! If you haven't tried my books yet then check them out at the top of the page, as well as buying a good read you'll be helping this contest.

Please make sure to check your story for typos before submitting. I don't mind a few errors, but my enjoyment of a story is diminished if I have to wade through too many.

I'll post the winning entries by March 1st 2016.

As with everything in life there are a few rules:
  • Only one entry per person.
  • The story must not be longer than 500 words.
  • Closing date for submissions is February 21st 2016.
  • By submitting the story you grant me a non-exclusive license to post the story on this blog. I do request that I post it here first.
  • You also grant me a one time non-exclusive license to include the story in an e-book release.
  • The judge's decision is final.
Use the form below to enter your submission. After you've submitted please leave a comment on this page stating that you have submitted. And please help spread the word. Great stories deserve great readers!


As well as comments section below you can chat about this competition in any of the threads I've listed below. If you don't know the sites then entering the competition is a good way to introduce yourself. Note that these sites are not affiliated with the competition in any way!




If you've started your own thread or discussion somewhere about this month's competition then let me know and I'll add the link to this page.

96 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there one of these every month

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imen Al Nighaoui2 February 2016 at 15:23

    Hello. Thank you for giving us the chance to share our writings with a large group of people.
    I've submitted my entry twice because I thought the site did not work and my internet broke. Therefore, I reentered my entry. The second one is the right copy. Is it okay? Or it doesn't count and I am out of the contest?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great fun, Michael, thank you!

    I'm at 513 words so need another revision and then will submit for the February contest.

    The January results will be posted this weekend, right?

    Best,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'll post the January winners this weekend.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Michael---I just submitted THE ALCHEMIST'S CIRCLE.

    Best,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing... So, just to be clear, that funky image above is our source of inspiration?
    Right on, time to get back into the writing momentum. Hadn't finished a work since NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've entered too.

    David A Jones

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just submitted Cassie's Dance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michael,
    I have just discovered your site and have entered my story, 'Premonition'. Next task is to open my Cayman Islands bank account in anticipation of all the royalties!

    Kind regards,

    Peter Collins

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've submitted! Love the prompt,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've entered. Great prompt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm in the wrong room, I was looking for the pottery class.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've submitted an entry - really enjoyed writing for this and the prompt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've entered, thank you.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Submitted - excited to read the other entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. S-s-s-submitted!

    First time stumbling onto your site. Really enjoying your drabbles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there,

    I've entered, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I just submitted my entry - The Recall of Cthuhlu - hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was a fun attempt and even if I don't win, I enjoyed writing! Thank you for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just submmited my story, and i wanted to say a few things. I ve read some of the stories on this blog, and found them really, really great. I just wanted to say that this is great job guys, so keep doing it. My favorite story was a Letter from the dead, by Ian Thompshon. It was that story that inspired me to submmit my own tale forever loving family. That and the image of course. When i saw it, i saw my story. So thank you for the great stories and the opportunity you are giving to me and many others to share with the world our own tales.See you all around.

    Vaggelis Sarantopoulos
    Fellow traveler in the land of the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hmm, I hope I'm not spamming your page - I'm trying to submit a message (to say I've entered the competition), but the form seems to be caught in a cul-de-sac, of constantly asking me to publish, but never going anywhere. I'm trying a different browser now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the story has been submitted - I can see it listed.

      Delete
  23. Hello there Michael,
    I entered my story 'She Ended Weeping' last night and submitted a message shortly after but it seems to not be showing in the comments section. Apologies if I have sent it through twice.
    Many thanks! - C D Whipp.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I initially tried to comment without a Google+ account and may have accidentally spammed this page.

    I have submitted. Thank you for the opportunity to enter your competition. It is my first (of hopefully many).

    R.D. Piner

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful image, very Folk Horror! - thanks Michael for the opportunity to enter this competition. I've submitted 'Every Ten Summers'.
    Kindest regards, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've submitted my story. It turned out more positive than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have submitted "Don't Touch", and I may have submitted twice as I wasn't sure if the first one went through, but if it did, forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've just submitted my entry - interesting prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've just submitted. Thanks for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Submitted :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Monday February 22, 2016

    Mr. Brookes,

    I've submitted my story for this month's contest. Thanks for reviewing my work.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I submitted my story earlier but my comment seems to have disappeared. Anyway, great image and I enjoyed writing the story.

    ReplyDelete