Monday 19 August 2013

Guest Author Interview - Grace Peterson

Not a great start to the week for me unfortunately, the neuropathy was playing up last night. Never mind, at least there's a new guest author interview to take my mind off it :-) Today we welcome Grace Peterson, you can read what she has to say below:


Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
Grace Peterson is my name and my memoir REACHING was released in May of this year which makes me a bonafide author. Hooray! I live in western Oregon and I don’t mind the rain.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I unwrapped a lock-and-key diary on my 11th birthday and jotted down really important things like what was on TV. My verbosity waited until I was a troubled teenager. I still have those 8x10 notebook scribbles detailing my woes. In 2006 after a decades-long writing hiatus, I took up journaling again as a way of processing a series of difficulties. Four years and a bazillion edits later those words became fit for public consumption.

You've written a book about your own experiences, did you find that difficult?
Difficult at times, yes. But the compelling desire to weave my way towards the destination was no match for the sinkholes and boulders road-blocking my efforts. In other words, I’m very stubborn and persistent. My biggest challenge was finding a publisher. It took over 2 years and a boatload of rejections before landing a deal with All Things That Matter Press. Phil and Deb Harris graciously provided the burst of adrenaline I needed to cross the finish line.   

What is your favourite song lyric?
Oh I love this question! As I was contemplating a title for my memoir, REM’s song “Losing My Religion” kept racing around in my head. I considered using the line, “That’s Me in the Corner” but nixed it when I saw several books were already using this line as a title. Then I toyed with, “The Lengths That I Will Go To” but also nixed it after friends suggested that a dangling preposition sounded awkward. Truthfully the entire song is a fitting recap of my book: “Oh no I’ve said too much. I haven’t said enough.”

What do you find most rewarding about writing?
That addictive feeling of getting it just right. Measuring and stirring and adding a pinch of this and a sprinkle of that and, voila, magic. I love the feeling of writing something I’m proud of. 

And the most challenging?
Finding the time. I work full time and I’m usually seated at my desk working on a document during the best hours for writing. 

Who is your favourite writer and why?
Honestly, I don’t have a favorite writer. For many years I’ve focused exclusively on reading the memoir genre as a way of teaching myself how its done. I don’t think I could choose a favorite because they’re all talented in their own way.

What are you working on at the moment?
Having had my second manuscript accepted by my publisher, I’m currently learning to navigate the world of publicity and marketing. It’s actually very enjoyable. The connection I make with readers and fellow literary nerds is very gratifying. 
Tell us about your latest work and how can we find out more.
REACHING--A Memoir is an insider’s look at anxiety and the mind games of cult-dependence. Growing up in a toxic home, I developed an anxiety disorder that eventually led to a mental health crisis. Rather than seek conventional treatment, I enlisted the help of an exorcist who reinforced my belief that I was demon possessed. Reaching details the seven years of entrapment I endured and how I finally came to my senses and broke free. Please visit my blog www.gracepete.com for more information.
Reaching is available from Amazon

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Michael for hosting little ole me. Your questions were thought provoking and fun. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading Grace's ideas and thoughts! Having read her fascinating memoir, I assure you, this lady is the real deal. Honest, blunt, sincere, all bonded with a heart of gold. I highly recommend her book to anyone who has ever had to deal with a dysfunctional family, or a wayward brainwashing religion...or simply to any reader who enjoys reading genuine, spellbinding, slices of an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete