Monday 12 August 2013

Guest Author Interview - Roxanna Rose

Welcome everyone to the start of a new week and that means we have a new guest author interview. Today we welcome fantasy author Roxanna Rose, you can read what she has to say below:


Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Roxanna Rose and I am a California native with a deep connection to my Ulster heritage. Fascinated by myths and legends from cultures around the world, I enjoy creating young adult, fantasy & paranormal novels steeped in their mysteries. Reading is one of my favorite hobbies and my home library has far exceeded its shelf capacity. I am a lover of nature and keep my home a safe haven for my “other species neighbors.” Living in the country has allowed me to keep the land a pesticide free “safe zone.” They seem to know this because during the last dove hunting season I had approx. 40 doves sitting on the ground in my backyard (I live on 17 acres) and they stayed there until the season was over. I divide most of my time between my writing, my career as a veterinary technician and wildlife rehabilitator, and socializing feral cats.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I always liked to make up stories, but my first taste of writing came when my college English teacher (who was actually the Psychology professor) asked us to write five pages in the format of a romance novel. I had been reading romance novels for quite a while and rushed eagerly into the project. When it was graded, he returned it with a note saying “No man could make love all night after being shot in the shoulder.” Well…obviously the man had never picked up romance novel in his life. He must have been projecting his inadequate manly prowess onto my buff and totally hot character (who was only winged by the bullet). I received a “C” on the paper, but I was hooked on writing.

I started entering every writing contest I came across; purchased a plethora of books on writing and I even tried my hand at writing a screenplay (which is a lot harder than you can imagine). After all this time, I think I have finally gotten the hang of it.

Do you write for yourself, or with an audience in mind?
I write for the story. When my ideas come to me, I figure they must be dying to get out and be heard, so it’s my job to make that happen. If I like the story when I am finished (and I usually do) then fantastic, if the readers like the story…well, that’s even better.

What is your favourite fantastical creature?
I love the fae. My favorite myths and legends involve the people of the sidhe and many of the stories I write involve them, as well. Of course, a very close second would be sprites. I guess it’s because they share my love of nature, or is that visa versa?

If you could work with any author, who would it be?
Jeaniene Frost Sherrilyn Kenyon
Maria V. Snyder Nalini Singh
Melissa Marr Becca Fitzpatrick
P.C. & Kristin Cast Veronica Roth
Gillian Summers Lynsay Sands
Richelle Mead Cassandra Clare

And the list goes on, everyday I hear about the works of another author I would like to discover. Asking me to pick just one is impossible because I would love to work with all of them. In fact, while I was writing “Desires” I would tell myself that someday I would be one of the authors on the “Smart Chicks Kick It Tour.” I printed out the posters and hung them where I could see them when I would feel overwhelmed by trying to write and work a full-time job. Sadly, they ended the tour before I ever got to join them, but it was great motivation while it lasted.

Where do you do most of your writing?
I do 90% of my writing in my office on my desk computer. Since my best writing is done when the weather is stormy, but I live in sunny California I have to trick my imagination. I darken the room, put a fireplace DVD on my office TV, and I put a rain storm CD in my computer. Instant winter, even when the temperature is 100 degrees outside. Add a Starbucks latte and I am in full on imagination mode.

What is your favourite song lyric?
 It comes from “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield and it describes me perfectly.

“I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined
I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned.”

What are you working on at the moment?
I am currently working on “Malevolence (A Legacy Novel), which is the second book in the series. The final book in that series will be Sacrifices (A Legacy Novel), although there may be a couple of novellas thrown in because readers are asking for them.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
My current work is called Desires (A Legacy Novel) and it is based on Celtic legends. My cover art is by fantasy artist Julie Fain and the interior Celtic artwork is by Celtic artist Jen Delyth.

You can find out more about me and my book and links to all the various reviews, as well as, any other sites with which I am associated at my website:

http://www.take2creativestorywriters.com

Desires (A Legacy Novel) is available from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment