Tuesday 20 August 2013

Guest Author's Revisited - R M F Brown

I first interviewed R M F brown back in February (you can read that interview here), I recently caught up with him to see what he'd been up to since then.


What has changed in your life since we last spoke?
My waist size has changed to say the least, but in writing terms, I've developed a more professional attitude towards writing. Nowadays, I treat it as a nine to five job, which allows me to get more work done, focus more on building up a fanbase, gives me time to look for more opportunities, and provides me with the opportunity of reviewing other people's work and giving feedback. In the past I was blasé with my approach to writing; treating it half-heartedly and missing deadlines. Nowadays, it's a leaner, more streamlined approach.

Have you learnt any new wisdom?
It's an old cliché, but I would recommend that any aspiring (or current writer) should read more. You need to get a feel for rhythms, tone, text, and general all round story telling. I wish I had a pound for every time I've said this, or heard it from somebody else, but you really do need other people proof-reading or an editor if you can afford it. There is nothing worse than having a book out, with a great cover, and people ready to buy it, only for somebody to spot a silly mistake such as 'here' instead of 'hear.' When I see mistakes like that in my work, I'm looking for something solid to throw against a wall!

Have you become a better writer? If so, how?
I don't know if I've become a better writer (I'll let the readers decide that) but I hope I've become a more professional writer, somebody willing to take risks and most importantly, somebody who can meet a deadline!. I will say that being a 'good' writer is no guarantee of success in the industry - there are plenty of bad writers out there. The writing world is one of the few places where quality, or a lack of it, is never a barrier to anybody who puts pen to paper, or finger to keyboard.

What are you working on at the moment?
I'm working on a psychological/horror novel which I hope to have finished by the Autumn. I've decided to move away from my German centric approach and focus on mutant turnips, or zombies. In other words, anything but war.

Tell us about your latest release and how we can find out more.
My latest release is 'The painter of Guernica.' A novella set during the Spanish Civil War. You can find out more by clicking on the book cover below:

Books by R M F Brown:

No comments:

Post a Comment