Friday 28 June 2013

Guest Author Interview - Bea Cannon

Well tomorrow I'm off to Cheltenham for the first Elite: Dangerous fan convention organised by the guys at Lave Radio. I'll do a post on Sunday letting you know how it went, for now let's enjoy the latest guest author interview. Today we meet Bea Cannon:



Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Bea Cannon. The "Bea" is actually from my middle name, "Beatrice", which I'm using for my author name. I have three grown children, three grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.
I am retired, having worked at AT&T for thirty-eight years. Though I worked as an electronics technician for the last fifteen of those years, I actually started with the company as an operator and held various other positions through the years (the company was Southern Bell when I started, and progressed to BellSouth before being bought out by AT&T).

I have worked a variety of other jobs in my life, some concurrent with the job at the telephone company, including being a store clerk and working for a janitorial service. I've also been a hotel maid, a house maid, a bus-girl, not to mention baby-sitting, window cleaning (hey, all those jobs bought groceries and helped pay rent!), and back in the fifties, when I was a child, I picked cotton. That particular job paid for my very first Webster's Dictionary in the fourth grade, and bought school shoes (we were kind of poor). There have been others, even less glamorous! I worked at anyhonest job.

Aside from writing and reading, and I also like to draw and paint (my avatars are self-portraits from about fifteen years ago. I really need to update!).

What first inspired you to start writing?
I think reading first inspired me to write, and that was a long time ago, when I was maybe four or five years old. My mother taught me to read, and one of the first things I read (other than the bible) was a book of fairy tales that included "The Little Mermaid". I was so sad that she died, that I wrote an illustrated story about her in heaven with mermaid angels and all! After that, I was always scribbling out little stories, mostly involving fairies and goblins and such. I wrote my first science fiction story in high school for an English class assignment.

If you could, work with any author, who would it be?
Hmm...there are a lot of author's I'd like to work with. Stephen King comes to mind, along with Dean Koontz, or Jim Butler, maybe. Of the ones no longer with us, I would liked to have worked with Isaac Asimov, or Octavia Butler, or Ray Bradbury, not to mention Douglas Adams.

You've written books in a couple of different genres,do you have a favourite genre in which to write?
I suppose my favorite genre in which to write is science fiction, though its running about neck and neck with fantasy.

Do you read in the same genres that you write?
Yes, I do read in the same genres in which I write, though I also like horror and comedy. And mythology. Sometimes a combination of the three when I can find a good one, which I consider Jim Butler's "Dresden Files" to be.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
What I enjoy most about writing is it allows me to temporarily get away from the world. I can get lost in the worlds I've created, becoming one of my characters. Sometimes, it's as if they're telling me the story. That's when it easiest. It's almost like reading rather than writing.

And the least?
I hate proofreading and editing! One of my daughters and my son help me with that, now, but I still hate it. Especially when they tell me I need to remove something. That hurts!

What are you working on at the moment?
Right now, I'm working on the sequel to my novel, "Boucher's World: Emergent", and a new story involving my werewolf characters from "Interruptions" and "Living in the Moment". I've also started a story that will be completely different from either of my previous ones.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
I've posted a couple of chapters of my sequel, "Boucher's World: Transformation" on my blog:

http://pcannon16.wordpress.com/bouchers-world-transformations-excerpt/

It picks up where the first book leaves off. It'll be edited before the final version is released sometime in June, so if anyone wants to read it - keep that in mind!

At some point, I'll probably post excerpts from the other stories I'm working on, just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

All of my books are available at:

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/pbcannon
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bea-Cannon/e/B00AZVR0AM?tag=phasespacenet-21
B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/bea-cannon
Sony: https://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=bea+cannon
Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/search/search.html?q=%22Bea+Cannon%22&t=none&f=author&p=1&s=none&g=both
Diesel (except "Seed"): http://search.diesel-ebooks.com/author/Cannon%2c%20Bea/results/1.html
Apple iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bea-cannon/id577742218?mt=11

No comments:

Post a Comment