Monday 2 December 2013

Guest Author Interview - John Reinhard Dizon

In today's guest author interview I meet thriller writer John Reinhard Dizon, you can find out what he had to say below:
 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0987602799/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0987602799&linkCode=as2&tag=phasespacenet-21


Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is John Reinhard Dizon, author of The Standard available through Tenth Street Press. Right now I'm going through a mid-life crisis, laying it all on the line in devoting my energies to my writing career. It's sink or swim, and hopefully the publishing industry will toss out a life preserver sooner than later.

What first inspired you to start writing?
I'd have to say Ian Fleming's James Bond. I put together a forty-page train wreck in sixth grade called Enemy Ace about a WWII German pilot turned British agent. I contracted the writing virus after watching Goldfinger, and developed a permanent condition after reading the entire series.

And what attracted you to writing a thriller?
I've always seen movies as a visual manifestation of the written word, and thrillers seemed to be the most dynamic way to express concepts and messages. I wouldn't go as far as to say my novels are didactic, but they are unquestionably polemic in resonating with current topics and events. Thrillers allow you to wrap your message in a letter bomb, so to speak.

Which author do you most admire and why?
As a Christian, I have to say the apostle Paul. My worldly side tends towards the postmodernist style, and right now I'm reading Kafka. I'll always point to Ian Fleming as a major influence, along with Robert E. Howard (author of the Conan the Barbarian series). Kafka's existential philosophies resonate with my own, while Fleming and Howard have the dynamic flair that I often hope to emulate.

What was the last book you read?
I'm just about done with Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I nearly blew my A+ in English lit at the University by blowing it off our must-read list. Ten years later, as a self-professed postmodernist writer, I'm all over it a decade too late.

Where is your happy place?
Midtown Kansas City. I take walks along 39th Street, Westport and the Plaza, areas that have that Bohemian atmosphere reminding me of Greenwich Village back home. There's a collegiate ambiance enhanced by the starving artists and entrepeneurs that can be contagious. It can make you want to write poetry, but in my case it all blossoms into novels.

What is your favourite word?
Transcend. My fave rock star is Patti Smith, and I think I got it from her.

What are you working on at the moment?
Well, lessee...I got Transplant, my third horror novel; The Test, an Xtian-oriented YA novel; Rituals, a courtroom drama centering around the Vietnam War; and The Brand, a Revolutionary War action/adventure yarn. If any agents are reading this gimme a call!

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
Here's the Amazon link to The Standard...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1TL5LO/

My family saga, Generations, is scheduled for release by Alpha Wolf Publishing in September. Stay tuned!

Books by John Reinhard Dizon on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment