Friday 7 December 2012

Guest Author Interview - Marie Clair

Today we welcome Marie Clair to the guest author interview, you can read what she has to say below:

Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
My name is Marie Clair, most recently I have taught ESL in the Language Dpt at an Australian University, and in China; now, when I am able to smell the roses, I find myself writing full-time, and loving it. My qualifications are B.A. Dip Psych TESOL Remedial Massage. My life has been somewhat 'unusual', in fact it brought me 'Undone' (by Marie Clair).

What first inspired you to start writing?
I have always been a book worm. I did not begin writing until I hit rock bottom, and began the process of discernment (understanding my dysfunctional behavior) by journal writing. As understanding grew, I became excited; to find simple words to express complex ideas, about personal growth.

Are you a planner? Or do you prefer to dive straight in to writing?
Firstly, I like to discern: what interests me at this point in time? When I have identified a topic I would enjoy writing about, and have some idea of where I want to see it heading, I dive right in.

If you could write anybody's biography, who would it be?
Mmmmm! Interesting question. I'm drawn to anti-heroes, more than to heroes. Lunch with Mary Magdalen, followed by dinner with Judas, would be interesting.
What do you enjoy most about writing?
The lifestyle, the fun of having a go, doing my best. I enjoy having an entire world chez moi that includes writing, painting, music, reading, flowers/herbs. When the 'muse' is awake, she's demanding, so the rest lie fallow until she tires and has nothing more to say.
And the least?
When the muse is on fire and takes over, waking me at unearthly hours with things to say that are more easily expressed after a good night's rest, she is tiresome.

What advice would you give new or aspiring authors?
If you can afford it, pay someone to do the necessary social media/marketing etc. If not, like me, write something, then turn your attention to doing the best you can to learn the ropes to self-publish, get the marketing in place, so you can spend an hour a day tweeting, blogging or whatever, then get back to writing. The good news is, the learning curve will fire up your neurons, if it doesn't send you crazy.

What are you working on at the moment?
  1. 'Unsung' a diary about ordinary day to day reality; and the extraordinary gifts to be found when reality is complex.
  2. 'A woman scorned' title still to be decided - short story that may become part of a novel, more likely part 1 of 2 short stories. The second story from the man she married instead; his point of view. Exploring cause and effect, with erotic undertones.
Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more:
"Undone" Sex Pray Love http://www.marieclairauthor.com
Available on kindle $2.99, or paperback
13 ***** Reviews on Amazon: 3 ***** on Goodreads.
 
The following Goodreads review sums the book up in a way that resonated with me, about whom the book is about.

"Undone is a brutally honest portrait of one woman's search for love in a chaotic world. The woman's name is Odette and her 1st-person journey from childhood on is a gripping trek. Vivid prose immediately draws you into Odette's singular life and keeps you there through a wrenching, thrilling series of ups-and-downs.
Recommended to anyone who wants to walk on the wild side but isn't foolish/courageous enough to do it themselves. Author Marie Clair quotes Thoreau at one point "Never look back unless your planning to go way that way." In writing Undone, Ms. Clair had the guts to look back, and I'm glad, as a reader, that she did.

Thanks to Marie for sharing her thoughts with us, on Tuesday we welcome Troy Jackson to the hot seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment