Thursday 2 July 2015

Drabbles of Art - Vanitas with Sunflower and Jewelry Box by Maria van Oosterwijck



This week's Drabble of Art is inspired by a painter unknown to me, but the odd collection of items in this still life fitted an idea I already had perfectly.

You can read the previous drabbles in the series here:

http://thecultofme.blogspot.co.uk/p/as-promised-in-last-weeks-final-post-in.html


Vanitas with Sunflower and Jewelry Box by Maria van Oosterwijck

She loved to collect things and always placed her favourites in the gloom of my study. Some of them were so weird that I didn’t dare ask her where she’d found them.

I liked the flowers. They brought new and delightful scents into the air. Most of what she collected were dead things, except for flowers. She cared for them. With delicate care she tended to them to keep their bloom alive until the inevitable wilt.

Now the decay happens faster because the bouquet will never be cared for again, not in this empty house.

I miss her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment