Tuesday 18 September 2012

Guest Author Interview - Rosen Trevithick

In today's guest author interview we welcome Rosen Trevithick, see what she has to say below:

Please introduce yourself. Who are you and what do you like to write about?
I’m a lady writer – a Cornish one based in Devon. I write fiction – usually humorous but sometimes psychological. I can usually be found wild swimming and anecdote hoarding. My cupboards are full of bathing suits, flasks and notebooks that say things like ‘Can you perform the heimlich manoeuvre on a cat?’ (Yes, apparently.)

What inspires you to write?
Life. Sometimes things annoy me and writing helps me to vent. Usually things amuse me and then I want to share them (with much embellishment – it’s not lying if it makes a really good story.)

You're one of the more successful Kindle authors out there, what advice would you give to new authors?
Never give up. Yes, the chances of writing a bestseller are slim, but the chances of writing a bestseller without writing anything, are nil. That means you can increase your odds by an infinite amount, just by putting your work out there. Don’t be afraid that your work isn’t good enough. At first I thought there was some sort of profound secret to writing popular fiction that I would never understand, but actually most successful indie authors are just ordinary people writing in their own voice.

What is the hardest part about writing for you?
I have to write when the mood takes me. This can be very disruptive especially when it’s late at night and I know that a few hours of (essential) sleep will break my flow. Then, on other occasions, I can set aside time to write and it just won’t happen.

An old classic of a question - who is your favourite author? And why?
As a kid I loved Roald Dahl. As an adult I’ve never felt that passion for an author but I do enjoy a bit of Ben Elton now and again. He writes just the sort of thing I aspire to create.

Do you prefer to write shorts or full novels?
Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I love short stories because they allow me to express many unrelated ideas in a short period of time, or address simple concepts that I feel strongly about. On the other hand, novels allow me to really get stuck into a topic. I like to mix things up and vary the size of my projects.

Tell us about your latest work.
I’ve just launched Pompomberry House. It’s a humorous murder mystery novel satirising the indie publishing scene. It was an absolute pleasure to write because the narrator is a slightly over-the-top author, which allowed me to fill the text with ridiculous, showy literary devices that I’d usually shy away from. It’s received some very satisfying reviews lately and ‘two acorns’ from the Goodreads UK Kindle forum, which I’m told is a good thing.

Pompomberry House is available now from Amazon

You can follow Rosen at her website: http://www.rosentrevithick.co.uk/

Thanks to Rosen for sharing her time with us, on Friday we welcome Ken Magee to the hot seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment