Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Guest Author Interview - Mark R Faulkner

In today's guest author interview I welcome dark fiction author Mark R Faulkner, you can find out more about him and his writing below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FOV7VYI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00FOV7VYI&linkCode=as2&tag=phasespacenet-21


Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?

I’m a thirty something year old from Birmingham in the UK and live with my partner in suburbia, where at weekends we are joined by my two children. I’ve got a degree in environmental science and when I’m not writing I work very long hours in the waste management industry.
As well as writing, and obviously reading, I love being outdoors in any wild place I can find; canoeing, camping and walking. Oh, and I do a good line in homemade country wines.


What first inspired you to start writing?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve started stories but never had the confidence to finish them, or show them to anyone else and my scraps of paper would end up in the bin. However, when I met my partner, Fay, she got wind of this and encouraged me to write something and then let her read it. I can’t remember now what it was, but apparently it was ‘quite good,’ and I’ve not looked back since.

And what attracted you to horror?

I read Cujo in my early teens and from that point on I was hooked. I absorbed everything by King, Herbert, Barker, Laymon, Koontz, et al… as well as loads of fantasy. I suppose I’m attracted by the lack of boundaries where anything can happen.

What makes your stories stand out?

Although influenced by many, I don’t try to emulate other writers and so I like to think that my stories have a style and a voice which are uniquely my own.

All writers love receiving good reviews, what has been your favourite so far?

This is a difficult one. I’ve been lucky in getting a lot of good reviews and even some of the bad ones are great reading, but, I’ve chosen this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of awesome
Flux... or one of those books that presses all the right buttons ! The story sucks you right in, and the writer puts you so easily into the main character's head that you don't know what's real and what isn't. That way, it's very easy to get close to Iain and care about him. I had no idea what was actually going on right until the end, not sure I know now actually. Aside all the gruesome bits (oooh yeah!)that would make me want to read more anyway, it was a total page turner, I hope there are more stories like this one coming soon !

By the way, Bert gets my award for the vilest character ever ! (But I think he was totally great !)


What is your favourite book and why?

This is subject to change depending on my mood, but I think it’s probably War of the Worlds. Why this particular book is more difficult to answer, everything about it is just right and fits perfectly into a brilliant read.

Where is your dark place?

It’s somewhere I don’t like to visit and even the thought of my dark place scares the living daylights out of me and can bring on bouts of anxiety. A few years ago now, an event in my life put my mind under so much strain it broke. It felt as if I was standing on the lip of an abyss and I had a decision to make; whether to step out into the void and let myself be consumed, or to fight my way out. Thankfully, I decided to fight. It was not the easy option, which is one of the reasons it’s so frightening, and it was a long, hard slog to drag myself out of that barren wasteland and back to real life.

Thankfully I recovered, but the stain of that place never truly washes out and I dragged a few demons back, which tap on my shoulder every now and again. But now I know what to look out for and I made a promise to myself; never again will I visit my dark place. Once was enough but unfortunately, that means I can never forget it either. 
What are you working on at the moment?

I’m writing a story about spiders.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
The Dark Stone was published on the 14th October 2013 and is available on Amazon, rolling out to other e-book retailers in the near future.
Here’s a quick blurb:

He thought it was all God’s plan… He was wrong.

In a city decimated by plague, a young boy is forced to fend for himself. After a long, hard winter he’s rescued by a band of monks, leaving his only friend alone in the ruins.

For a while life is good and his hardships a fading memory until, some two years later his new home is raided and the inhabitants slaughtered. During the attack he takes refuge in the catacombs which run deep beneath the monastery, where he discovers a mysterious black stone.

The stone bestows him with powers beyond his wildest dreams, but there’s a high price to pay for power and his discovery harbours a dark side… A very dark side.

Flux was published early in 2012.

Find out more at facebook.com/markrfaulkner

Books by Mark R Faulkner on Amazon:

2 comments:

  1. Good interview. Enjoyed it loads. However if he is writing a novel about spiders next. I am emigrating to the Antarctic. No spiders there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Flux, so I've picked that up.

      Delete

My Books on Goodreads